South Platte Valley Historical Society Society`````````````````````````````South
Platte Valley Historical Society
Rebuilding the Past - For the Future
May 14, 2013
The South Platte Valley Historical Society
The South Platte Valley Historical Society was founded in March of 1988. The primary
purpose of the Society is for the preservation and maintenance of sites, structures
and objects of historical significance in the South Platte Valley area, as well as
related public education. These goals are to be accomplished, in part, through the
establishment of the Fort Lupton Historical Park. The early history of the Society
is summarized here by R Everson.
The Society currently has about 350 members locally, throughout the nation and around
the world that are dedicated to this goal. Many members provide additional support
to the society through supplementary donations of money, supplies, or labor for the
Society's restoration and reconstruction projects.
Presently, the Society has title to approximately 100 acres of land, located just
north of the community of Fort Lupton on the South Platte River, which includes the
historic site of the original Fort Lupton. The Fort is presently being reconstructed,
and two other historic structures have also been relocated to the site and fully
restored, the Donelson House and the 1875 Independence School. On a portion of the
site a black-powder shooting range has been developed as well as an archery range,
tomahawk range and woodswalk. The lower, wooded portion of the site is used for
"Rendezvous" and other living history events. Also located on-site is a temporary
structure which currently houses the Visitor Center. This will eventually be replaced
with a permanent Interpretive Center.
The Society holds membership meetings the first Monday of every month. Board meetings
are held every third Monday. Officers and Directors and the By-Laws (1.3MB PDF)
of the Society can be found here. During the summer months a potluck dinner often
precedes the business meeting. After the business meeting, an educational or informational
program is presented. A newsletter is published quarterly to keep members informed
about changes and progress. Previous Newsletters can be found here.
The Tallow River Trappers is the living history arm of the South Platte Valley Historical
Society. Through the Tallow River Trappers the Society sponsors three major "Rendezvous"
every year, in February, May and September. These Rendezvous all have a pre-1840
theme and often attract several hundred participants, including traders and sutlers.
The public is always welcome at these events to see and interact with the participants.
The Fort Lupton Muzzleloading Club is a separate organization which operates and
maintains the shooting range and sponsors shooting events. The Club encourages knowledge
of the history of black powder muzzleloading firearms, and proficiency in their use.
Competition and fun events are regularly scheduled (calendar of shooting events). Club
members can also use the range between events.
In addition to the "Rendezvous" the Society sponsors a Heritage Fair. Many diverse
historical organizations come together to present to the public a living history
timeline. The period from the French and Indian Wars through the Civil War is very
well represented, however, in past years, there have been encampments of Roman soldiers,
Viking warriors up to the Viet Nam era.
Other Society events are open non-members but only as participants (that is not as
21st Century observers), such as teas, pig roasts, fandangos, and even a woman's
encampment (Hunters Widow's Rendezvous).
The Society gratefully acknowledges the help it has received from the City of Fort
Lupton, many local businesses, and several other volunteer organizations. Donors
have included Society members, friends of deceased Society members, and non-members
with an interest history and in seeing the Fort Lupton Historical Park completed.