South Platte Valley Historical Society Society`````````````````````````````South
Platte Valley Historical Society
Rebuilding the Past - For the Future
February 27, 2014
The South Platte Valley Historical Society has a mission to preserve the history
of the South Platte Valley area. The Society is creating a one-hundred acre History
Park on the north side of Fort Lupton with facilities dedicated to education, historic
interpretation, and improvement of the local economy.
Twenty-Four years in the making, new Fort Lupton is ready for visitors
The recreation of the old fort is an original-sized replica built by volunteers in
Fort Lupton, Colorado
Lt. Lancaster Lupton and his crew planned and built the Colorado fur trading post
called Fort Lancaster in less than two years.
Recreating his 1836 adobe fort took 24.
Rebuilding the fort was the motivation for the formation of the South Platte Valley
Historical Society in 1988. Its members raised funds to purchase the original fort
site, but were seven years too late to save the final wall from demolition by workers
erecting gas and oil drilling rigs on the site. Only a wagonload of the original
adobe bricks was salvaged, stored under a tarp in the public works shop in Fort Lupton,
the city of 7,500 that bears the name of the original fort builder.
Restoration of two mid-1800’s buildings, a one room school and a farmhouse, diverted
the group’s focus until Arnie Hubert, a retiree transplanted to
Fort Lupton, said he would lead the endeavor. Without money to complete the work,
but aware that belief that the project would ever come to fruition
was fading, the SPVHS broke ground for the new fort, a few yards south of the original,
on October 23, 2004.
Hubert and the SPVHS members decided the new fort was to have walls of stucco, not
adobe, erected on building-code sanctioned foundations. Its
configuration, 40 X 60 paces (128 X 150 feet) would mirror the original, and it was
to be a living history fort, as authentic possible, and built without
Eight years, 25,000 volunteer hours and $220,000 later, the fort was finished in
mid-2012. Supplier’s donations kept the cost to half of what the structure would
have cost without their help, and as promised, the fort was privately funded.